Sunday, January 6, 2013

Windows 8 Phone - Music Player

I really do like much of what I see with my new Windows 8 phone. I really do. However here is a second article in a row with a negative tilt. You see I love my music. So much so that even in this cloud based world I need to have my music with me, on my devices wherever I go. One of the best things about the IPhone is its excellent music/iTunes interface. Syncing and organizing music on Apple devices is insanely easy. With Microsoft…. not so much.
  
The Windows 8 music player (pictured left) is weak, overly complicated and simply does not work very well. First you have the problem of getting your music to the phone. There are basically 2 choices for doing this. One is using the Windows Phone App which you can install on you PC. Once installed you can sync directly from your iTunes library or by browsing your PC for the music you want.

The Windows 8 Phone - PC App


The second choice is by dragging and dropping your music files to the Windows 8 Phone drive. Neither of these solutions are anywhere near the ease of use IPhones enjoy. My other problem with the Windows 8 phone music player is it seems to have a trouble displaying some of the cover art.

The sound quality on my Lumia 822 is fine and I could not hear any distinguishable difference from my IPhone.  
I will be patient here because the Windows 8 Phones are so new and there is sure to be improvement with the music player functions. There are strong rumors that music player abilities will be integrated into SkyDrive. This is exciting and could go a long way towards Microsoft finally challenging Apple with music integration.

No comments:

Post a Comment