Saturday, January 5, 2013

Windows 8 Phone – Living Without Apps

The first thing I found myself doing with my new Windows 8 phone was looking for the same apps that I had become accustomed to with my IPhone. I was not surprised to find that many apps were not available. It is important to remember that Windows 8 (phone) is young and although the app store inventory is growing it currently is simply missing many of the apps I have enjoyed in the past. Several of the basic apps are there, like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, NFL Mobile, ESPN, CNN and Zite. While others like Instagram, Pandora, and LogMeIn are not available at this time.

While I believe Microsoft will eventually make most of the popular apps available in the months to come there is a workaround. This is because Windows 8 (phone) comes with a fully functional version of Internet Explorer. Therefore you can simply go to the webpage and “pin it” to your desktop. In fact in many cases the native website is actually superior to the app.
Living without some of my favorite apps is definitely one of the biggest challenges I am struggling with so far.

Coming up next  is my review of the music player.

No comments:

Post a Comment