Thursday, March 8, 2007

Our Readers Respond...

Reader Takes Issue With Camacho Column

Dear Editor:

Regarding Ms. Camacho’s column, “Bilingual Kids” in your March 1 edition, let’s not get confused here, we are in America. Children entering United States schools should be taught English like millions of immigrants before them and throughout time, in order to be a productive part of society.

Yes, I agree that children should learn a language at an early age, but let’s not get confused here, folks. English-speaking children at the kindergarten level need to learn their ABC’s before they can learn to speak another language. And let’s not use the language as an excuse.


Name Withheld

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You


Dear Editor:

We would like to thank the unknown Good Samaritan who was kind enough to stop on Sunday night, February 11 to pick up our 16 year old nearly blind and deaf Black miniature Schnauzer, Mr Max, wandering on Fenimore Road in 25 degree temperature. This person took the time and effort to bring him to the Animal Shelter in New Rochelle, without leaving his name, from where we got him home not too much worse
for the experience.

THANK YOU FOR GIVING MAX AND US A REPRIEVE for whatever time he has left. You have been the vital cog in what I cannot help but feel is a miracle and a blessing from the universe from which there are lessons for all of us to be learned, not the least of which is the courage of a little dog who never gave up and which has reaffirmed the basic goodness and kindness of people.

David H. Gordon, Rosalind M Gordon, Annette Johnson


Dear Editor:

I was inspired to pen the following after reading of the ongoing casualties our men and women are suffering in Iraq. I
was reminded of my late brother who served in Vietnam, coming home a lot worse for the experience.


“Soldier”

I was a very young man, maybe eighteen years, not more. I left my childhood behind me, when I first killed in a war. It seems yesterday I saw my mother, I kissed her at the door. Yet it’s some weeks later now, and I’m a soldier, trained for more. Historians will sully the defeated, does it really matter why we fight?

My nations leaders will say, “Be proud, for “we” are on the side of right”! Though reasons are worded different, is greed not simply, all the same? As I, young men are my enemy, dead I’ll never know one’s name. When I walked into the “camps”, I had to leave my innocence at the gate. Disposed of, and emaciated masses, the sight of these, made my soul irate. When in the jungle I sat ambush, deadly quiet, in the dark of night. I wondered if I’d see my enemy, feared who might die in the fight. One time I lifted up a small boy, I carried him; I tended to his wounds. Though I tried to ease and comfort him, I saw his young life end, to soon. The hauntings have all been with me, since I ended the first life that day. For these I did received many medals, when I die, these ghosts may go away!

David Boudreau 2/07

Editor’s Note: The following correspondence was received last week from Mr. Marousek of Cortlandt Manor and We believe it’s content was worthy of our readers’ attention.

Dear Assemblywoman Galef & Assemblyman Ball,


Yesterday I came across an article, “NYS Assembly Passes Ethics Reform Bill”, in The Westchester Guardian and must admit that I was shocked!!!! What a low opinion our leaders have of the voting public to pass this off as “Ethics Reform”! NYS is in deep trouble if this bill is truly considered ethical or reform. This feeble attempt at ethics reform would almost be laughable if it were not so serious to the political, social and economic life of our State. It brings the art of “Double-speak” and political “Smoke and Mirrors” to new heights.

How can you say: “Virtually ban all gifts from lobbyists to elected officials;” and keep a straight face? Virtual meaning; “Existing or resulting in essence or effect, though not actually in fact.” Sounds like business as usual. Yet another rule/law with no teeth. “Strengthen the revolving door rule................” How about “STRICTLY ENFORCE” the revolving door rule...... Rules and laws that are not enforced only encourage violations of any sort.

“Strictly limit lobbyists from paying or reimbursing travel and accommodation expenses;” Wait a minute! If you pay for or reimburse my travel...isn’t that a gift?? Oh, but then again there’s that word “virtually” and what ever we want that to mean. Now add “limit”; “the final or furthest confines, bounds or restriction of something..” and we have two two rules with enough open doors to welcome a “limitless” number of lobbyists.

“Increase the penalties for lobbyists and elected officials who violate the new regulations;” I ask you, if the old penalties obviously didn’t work, why should we expect the new “time-out” penalties to be more effective. How about “ZERO” tolerance? In most of the public service and private sectors, if you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar...you are FIRED! Are politicians any different?? In my mind the violation of the public trust is most egregious and damaging to the entire fabric of our society. How can we expect our you to respect the rule of law when our leadership looks for way to get around everything?

Lastly,creating a new Commission of Public Integrity is dubious at best. Will it have independent authority and power, or will it just be yet another politically manipulated machine?

Thank you for reading my tome. I hope and pray that at some time in the near future we will have real ethics reform and not another P.T. Barnum act.

Cordially,


Frank Marousek
Cortlandt Manor

No comments:

Post a Comment