Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Don't Click That Link!

It seems to me that I have been spending a lot of my time working on staff computers infected by Trojan horses and other cyber baddies. Why is this problem growing? I wish I knew. However I wanted to take the time to post one of the most important things you can do to avoid infecting your PC.

Don't click strange links!

If you get an email from a friend or other associate that has several people attached and the email contains a strange looking link, chances are they were hacked. I would contact your friend other then through their email and ask them if they sent it. If they did not, have them read this post and then change their passwords.

I said passwords, as is in, more then one. That is because once someone has access to your email account, they could potentially gain access to your other online accounts.

Here is just one example of what can happen if you email account is hacked. Once your email is hacked the hacker could gain access to your email account and browse through your emails to find an email from your bank. They then go to your bank's website. The first thing they'll try doing is using your email password in case you used the same password for your email as for your bank. If that doesn't work, then they'll try the forgot password feature and within a minute they could have access to your bank account. If this happens your computer problems could quickly turn into financial problems.

I cannot stress this enough. If you are not sure of where the email came from and that it is legitimate do not click on any of it's links. Simply delete the message and take a deep breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment