Friday, March 8, 2013

Travels with Windows 8

Now that I am using a Windows 8 phone and Microsoft Surface Windows 8 Pro tablet exclusively I find myself hoping that these devices travel well. Earlier this week I had my first experience away from the safety of home with my 2 Microsoft devices. This was only a one day conference so I don't want to rely to much on how great things went.

The conference had power sources available so I was able to plug my Surface tablet in the entire time so I had no problems with the limited battery life of 4 hours. I was able to access my Outlook account and my files via SkyDrive. I also had to remote into 2 computers to provide "help desk" support. This was very easy to do on the Windows 8 tablet.

With the Surface tablet it was like have a tablet sized powerful PC in front of me which was really great.

Power Concerns

Microsoft's new Magnetic Cable
The bigger challenge is going to be my upcoming trip to Florida. My primary concern revolves around power. This is because the Surface tablet has a battery life of only about 4 hours so I am hoping I will be able to find power sources from time to time at the airport to keep it charged. If I want to watch a movie, listen to music or even play a game I am going to need a full charge on the airplane. To add to my concern is Microsoft new magnetic power cord. The power cord does not use USB but a new "magnetic click" connection. This means I will not be able to use my Mophie external charger on the tablet. The Windows phone will not be a problem because the (phone) battery lasts much longer and my Mophie will connect with it's standard USB port for charging power.

Limited Apps
The primary concern here is involving my Windows 8 phone. This one is not as big a concern for me as the power challenges of the tablet but I am concerned regardless. Windows 8 phones do not currently enjoy the app store inventory of their rivals at Apple or Android. Will the limitation here bother me while on the road? Only time will tell.

Stay tuned friends. I will report my experience as I travel with these devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment