Thursday, May 2, 2013

Boost Your Wireless Signal

I recently noticed a big decrease in my wireless signal strength at home recently. It seemed that only last summer I could sit out in my back yard, removed from society for a few moments and able to stream my favorite music on my wireless network. Well this spring the signal had really degraded and I had some work to do. I was able to increase my signal strength. 

But how?


It is important to know that these days, there are more demands on wireless networks than ever.
 
With the influx of mobile phones, tablets and laptops, fewer devices are tethered to network cables, especially at home. But as we all know, the strength of wireless signals can vary greatly.

Here are several ways you can help boost wireless access and speeds across your home or office.

Location, Location Location - Make sure that your access point is in a central location to all the users who will need wireless access. Your basement is almost always the very worst place.

Material's Matter - Keep the router away from metal objects. The can interfer with the signal.

Use the Antenna - The antenna that came on the router? Yes. It actuall works. Find the position that works best for reaching user's devices. If you are still having issues try upgrading to a new antenna. This is cheaper than purchasing a new router.

Avoid Overload - Check to see how many devices are connect on your wireless network from time to time. Add more routers or access points if it gets to crowded.

Upgrade Regulary - The signal is only as strong and secure as the firmware behind it. Make sure you keep it up to date.

Changing Channels - Your router broadcasts on "channels". You can change these as well if your are troubleshooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment