Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Giant Food Stores in PA SUCKS (off topic)

This picture above is ME, an angry ME.

Following is a copy of the letter I sent to the USA CEO of Giant FOOD Stores. If you are reading this, send him a letter as well and voice your anger. Giant is buying up all the foodstores in my town. Giant is in the states of PA. DE and NJ and I do not know where else.

Mr. Carl Schlicker CEO
PO Box 249
Carlisle, PA
March 14, 2012



Attention Mr. Schlicker,

I have been shopping at the Giant Food Store located at 698 Dowingtown Pike, West Chester, PA 19380 since it opened its doors. According to my Quicken information, I have spent close to $60,000 at that store since 2009. That is a lot of money. That is a LOYAL customer.

Imagine my shock when I learned that Giant does indeed use “pink slime” in their ground meat sold in MY Giant. I have been buying this product for at least 3 years with no knowledge of the chemicals and the processing that goes into this product.

I got an email back from Eileen Katz at Consumer Affairs at Giant telling me this is a safe product. She even goes as far as to say “All types of lean finely textured beef are sustainable products because they recover lean meat that would otherwise be wasted. The beef industry is proud to produce beef products that maximize as much lean meat as possible from the cattle we raise. If this beef is not used in fresh ground beef products, approximately 1.5 million additional head of cattle would need to be harvested annually to make up the difference, which is not a good use of natural resources, or modern technology, in a world where red meat consumption is rising and available supply is declining.”

Oh my, Giant is saving the earth with this product. Well then let’s dig in, ammonia and all.

What infuriates me the most is that Giant did this without telling its consumers. I do not care how safe Giant says this product is, it is the sheer fact that if this product is so damn good why not advertise it? Why not make it public to your consumers??

Without your consumers, Giant has nothing except empty stores. This underhanded tactic has caused me to lose complete faith in ALL of your products. What else are you not telling your consumers?

I am disgusted by this action. When I asked my butcher if pink slime was in the ground meat he replied, “NO.” When I asked the manager, he thought no but said he would check into it. I never heard back, Again, why the secrecy, put this fact displayed above the ground meat. See how many of us gobble up that ground meat.

Today I went to Whole Foods and spent $165 on meat and fresh veggies. I stocked my freezer with Whole Foods ground beef. I will never buy Giant ground beef again nor do I feel confident buying other meats in your stores.

I hope Giant discontinues this practice and makes more information available at the stores about where the meat comes from, what is in the meat?

I am one disappointed customer and my lost faith will be hard to regain.

Elizabeth Maxim

No comments:

Post a Comment