Wednesday, November 23, 2011

open letter to older women with kids and families


Today I received an email from a mother of 3, wife and parttime bank teller. She recently went back to horse back riding. She was a talented rider when she was young and in high school. Marriage, 3 kids, husband surviving throat cancer and money woes later, she decided to try horse back riding again. She is in her late 40s.

Here is her post to me.....

It's amazing what riding a good horse for a while can do for me. The first and second lessons had me breathing really hard--it's a lot of work cantering around a ring on a horse and keeping it all together like I did back in the day. Today I wasn't breathing nearly as hard. I even brought my old saddle today that I had up in the garage and used that. The whole thing is like opening up an old dream box for me. The instructors are amazed that I am doing so well at this age, after all these years. It comes back just like riding a bike. Anyway, I don't know how much longer I will be able to afford to do it, but I just wanted to let you know how much fun it has been, and how happy it has made me. I actually feel good at something again in my life.


So what does this have to do with biking??

Biking is an activity you can do as an older woman. You can go out with other like minded folks or bike solo. Join a bike club in your area. Bike on a bike trail.

But find something you can do that does not involve your family or kids. Physical activities enrich your life as you age. You feel good. I have now been biking seriously for 5 or so years. I can jump on my bike and do 50 miles and hardly blink. I climb hills and coast down hills. I see eagles, herons, owls and deer and horses and cows and the list is endless.

I hear all kinds of excuses from older ladies. For once in your life, stop making excuses and using your family and finances as a reason you are not doing something for yourself.

Make the time, pick some type of physical hobby and do it - even just walking around the block is a start. JUST DO IT.







No comments:

Post a Comment