Monday, February 1, 2010

spread your legs

chrissie wellington
OK, now I have your attention! I have been trying for the last 3 years to learn how to stand up on my bike when climbing hills. So far I have been a complete failure, and as my faithful readers know, I have fallen several times when climbing steep hills. Not a pretty picture.

So my success rate thus far is about a zero. The other day I was out with my son. He watched me struggling and attempting my very clumsy stand. He said nothing, but was glad I was attempting to stand.

He went out the other day solo and spent some time trying to stand the way I was standing. He immediately saw my error.

He said I was trying to stand and pedal in the exact same position as when I am sitting. Only difference being I have left my seat.

He said in the most undelicate manner, "mom, spread your legs, get your knees slightly fanned out and spread the hips!"

Yeah,yeah, sounds gross. But today I was out solo riding again and took his advice. MAGIC, I am instantly better at standing up. The improvement was dramatic.

Now I am no Chrissie Wellington (wins the Hawaiian Iron Man) in form, age or abilities, but heck, I got better!

SO give it a try next time out on your bike. For most good cyclists, the ability to stand up is not an issue, but for an oldie like me, it is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment